Dr. Ma. Pythias B. Espino
Education: Ph.D Chemistry (Ateneo de Manila University)
MS Chemistry ( UP Diliman)
Research Homepage: Water Research and Management Center
- Center for Environmental and Health Sciences, Hokkaido University, December 2016 - March 2017
- Advanced Water Management Centre, The University of Queensland, Australia, July-November 2015
- Research Institute for Humanity and Nature, Kyoto, Japan, June-December 2013
- Nicholas School of Environment, Duke University, USA, November 2012-March 2013
- Institute of Analytical Chemistry, Karl-Franzens University, Graz, Austria, April-July 2007
- Department of Chemical Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Japan,
April 2003-September 2004
- Chemistry Department, Danish Hydraulics Institute-Water and Environment, HØrshØlm, Denmark,
- Environmental Analytical CHemistry
- Methods development for the analyses of organic and inorganic environmental contaminants; fate and behavior of organic pollutants and their transformation products in the environment; UV radiation treatment of persistent toxic substances; disinfection by-products in drinking water; oxidative degradation of pharmaceuticals in water; nitrosamines in surface waters; flame retardants in indoor environments.
- Escober, E.J., M.P. Espino, A new trophic state index for assessing eutrophication of Laguna de Bay, Philippines, Environmental Advances (2023), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envadv.2023.100410
- Sta. Ana, K.M., J. Madriaga, M.P. Espino. β-Lactam antibiotics and antibiotic resistance in Asian lakes and rivers: An overview of contamination, sources and detection methods. Environmental Pollution, 2021,116624. doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2021.116624
- Sacdal, R., M.P. Montano, M.P. Espino. Heavy metals in surface waters of Laguna de Bay, Philippines: current levels and trends. Limnology (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10201-021-00667-x
- Sta.Ana, K.M., M.P. Espino. Occurrence and distribution of hormones and bisphenol A in Laguna Lake, Philippines. Chemosphere, 2020, 127122. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.127122
- Sacdal, R., J. Madriaga, M. P. Espino. Overview of the analysis, occurrence and ecological effects of hormones in lake waters in Asia. Environmental Research, 2020, 182: 109091. doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2019.109091
- Sibal, L., M.P. Espino. Heavy metals in lake water: A review on occurrence and analytical determination. International Journal of Environmental and Analytical Chemistry, 2018, 98: 536-554. DOI: 10.1080/03067319.2018.1481212.
- Doederer, K., G. A. De Vera, M. P. Espino, M.-L. Pype, D. Gale, J. Keller. MIB and geosmin removal during adsorption and biodegradation phases of GAC filtration. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply. Water Supply, 2018, 18 (4): 1449-1455. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2017.213
- Espino, M.P., J.N. Leon. Determination of Tri-heptabrominated Diphenyl Ethers in Indoor Dust by Chromatoprobe Injection and Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, Microchemical Journal, 2014, 114:1-7.
- Karlesa, A., G. A. De Vera, M. C. Dodd, J. Park, M. P. Espino, Y. Lee. Ferrate(VI) Oxidation of β‑Lactam Antibiotics: Reaction Kinetics, Antibacterial Activity Changes, and Transformation Products, Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 48: 10380-10389.
- Cid, A., G. Andres, M.P.Espino. Challenges of a HPLC-UV analysis of methomyl, carbofuran and carbaryl in soil and freshwater for degradation studies. International Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 2014, 3(3): 15-22.
- Espino, M.P., J.P. Mendoza. Determination of Monochloroacetic Acid in Swimming Pool Water by Ion Chrmoatography-Conductivity Detection. Science Diliman, 2013, 25(2): 52-67.
- Fulong, C.R., M.P. Espino. Decabromodiphenyl Ether in Indoor Dust from Different Microenvironments in a University in the Philippines. Chemosphere, 2013, 90:42-48.
- Genuino, H.C., M.P. Espino. Occurrence and Sources of Bromate in the Chlorinated Tap Drinking Water in Metropolitan Manila, Philippines. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2012, 62:369-379.
- Espino, M.P., J.N. Leon. Tetrabromobisphenol A in Indoor Dust from Houses and Internet Cafes. Science Diliman, 2011, 23(2): 5-16.
- De Vera, G. A., M.P. Espino. Anions Analysis in Ground and Tap Waters by Sequential Chemical and CO2-suppressed Ion Chromatography. Science Diliman, 2011, 23(1): 31-41.
- Rodriguez, I.B., M.P. Espino. Occurrence and Determination of Haloacetic Acids in Metro Manila Drinking Water. Science Diliman, 2009, 21(2): 35-41.
- Egdal R.K., G. Raber, A.D. Bond, M. Hussain, M.P. Espino, K.A. Francesconi, C. J. McKenzie. Selective Recognition and Binding of Arsenate over Phosphate. Dalton Transactions. 2009, 44: 9718-9721.
- Genuino, H.C., M.P. Espino. Ion Chromatographic Method with Post Column Fuchsin Reaction for Measurement of Bromate in Chlorinated Water. Science Diliman, 2009, 21(1): 29-36.
- Espino, M. P. Photolytical Degradation Products of Pentachlorophenol in Aqueous and Organic Solvents. Philippine Journal of Science, 2008, 137(2): 179-188.
- Espino, M.P., S. Nakai, M. Hosomi. UV Degradation Products of cis-Chlordane in Aqueous Isopropanol, Isopropanol and Hexane. Kimika, 2006, 22 (2): 65-75.
- Cid, A.P., F. Del Mundo, M.P. Espino. A Modified Analytical Procedure for the Determination of Carbaryl, Carbofuran and Methomyl Residues in Agricultural Soil and River Water Samples from La Trinidad, Benguet and Aurora, Isabela. The Philippine Agricultural Scientist. 2006, 89(1): 71-84.
- Rodriguez, I.B., T. A. O. Quibuyen, M.P. Espino. Analysis of Volatile Disinfection By-Products in Metro Manila Drinking Water. Kimika, 2006, 22 (1):1-6.
- Suegara, J., B. Lee, M.P. Espino, S. Nakai, M. Hosomi. Photodegradation of Pentachlorophenol and its Degradation Pathways Predicted Using Density Functional Theory. Chemosphere. 2005, 61: 341-346.
- Quirit, L., M.P. Espino, J. Villanueva. Chemical Remediation of Toxic and Hazardous Wastes. In : Remediation of Toxic and Hazardous Wastes : Issues and Concerns. The National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines. NAST Monograph Series 6. February 2005.
- Espino, M.P., S. Nakai, M. Hosomi. Analytical Monitoring of the Photodegradation of POPs Pesticides using Graphitized Carbon Black Extraction and GC-MS. Kimika, 2004, 20 (1/2): 21-27.
- Nakai, S., M.P. Espino, Y. Nomura, M. Hosomi. Detection of Polychlorinated Dibenzothiophenes (PCDTs) in Environmental Samples and Investigation of their Photodegradability and Dioxin-like Endocrine Disruption Potency. Journal of Environmental Chemistry, 2004, 14:835-844.
- Nakai, S., S. Kishita, M.P. Espino, M. Hosomi. Detection of Polychlorinated Dibenzothiophenes in Japan and Investigation of their Dioxin-like Endocrine Disrupting Potency. Organohalogen Compounds, 2004, 66: 1522-1526.
- Espino, M.P., K. Cimatu. Bromate Levels in Metro Manila Drinking Water. Kimika, 2003, 19(1): 35-39.
- Suegara, J., S. Nakai, M.P. Espino, B. Lee, Y. Watanabe, K. Yoneda, M. Hosomi. Photodegradation of Pentachlorophenol and its Degradation Pathways Predicted Using Density Functional Theory (in Japanese). Journal of Japan Society on Water Environment, 2003, 26(11): 693-697.
- Espino, M.P., D.S. Aga, M.H. Nguyen, H. Singer, M. Berg, S.R. Muller. Analysis of Organophosphorus Pesticides in Water by Graphitized Carbon Black Extraction and Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. Kimika, 2001, 17(1): 13-18.
- Guevara, A.P., M.P. Espino, C. Chua, G. Russell. Antiinflammatory Principles of the Leaves of Persea americana Mill. Philippine Journal of Science, 1998, 127(2): 81-91.